Wednesday, January 9, 2008

WW--Religious Movies Are Dangerous


~Images may produce emotion, but they do not produce Godly repentance
~What does the Second Commandment say. We may not bow down to the images on the screen, but we pay money and sit there quite obediently watching them.
~Are the time-tested methods of evangelism not sufficient for us? Are the methods of the Book of Acts in the Bible not adequate?
~“Heresy of method is as deadly as heresy of message.”
~God is very particular about images, observe the detail and precision required in the tabernacle
~Religious movies give the impression that religion is as much a mere story as any other movie topic.
~They violate the Scriptural law of hearing.
~Can words not say all that God intended them to say?
~Religious movies embody the mischievous notion that religion is or can be made a form of entertainment.
~Which would people rather do: watch a religious movie or fast, pray, and seek God? Religious movies displace real spiritual discipline.
~Dulls people’s ability to distinguish the Holy Spirit from emotional twinges.
~Acting is a violation of the rule to be sincere.
~The most vivid Biblical scenes are R-rated: David and Bathsheba, Sodom and Gomorrah, Various battles, The Crucifixion, Even Adam and Eve.
~Drama is not what brought the Church out of darkness, but Biblical Spirit-filled preaching.
~When have you ever in history heard of a major spiritual revival ever coming from a form of acting?
~You cannot give Biblical authority for the act of showing movies.
~It replaces the prophet with the projector.
~Manna is not enough. We want flesh.

Links on Religious Movies:

The menace of the religious movie by Bethelministries.com

2 comments:

Andrew Tallman said...

1 Corinthians 9:19-23

19For though I am free with respect to all, I have made myself a slave to all, so that I might win more of them. 20To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews. To those under the law I became as one under the law (though I myself am not under the law) so that I might win those under the law. 21To those outside the law I became as one outside the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law) so that I might win those outside the law. 22To the weak I became weak, so that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, that I might by all means save some. 23I do it all for the sake of the gospel, so that I may share in its blessings.

So maybe.... to the movie-goer, I'm a movie-maker, in order to reach them?

Sorry, not able to make a phone call today, but i wanted to contribute with this. :)

Christina

Andrew Tallman said...

I was urgent to get home to say this.

Wasn't the Bible first an oral tradition? Is not the written word pictoral shorthand for that oral tradition? Seems like religious movies are the next way to show the gospel without depending on the words that need to be translated to the many languages still in need of hearing the gospel. And isn't it a way of allowing the unsaved to see in a nutshell what they are unwilling to see in a book?

Linda