Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Wacky Wednesday--Home Bible Studies Are A Bad Idea

Note: Before reading the following arguments, please understand that they are not what I believe. On Wednesdays, I deliberately argue for wrong ideas, challenging my listeners to call and defend the obvious right answer, which is usually far harder than one would expect. This is a summary of what Wacky Andrew will be arguing, not a representation of what real Andrew believes.

~Traffic and parking issues.
~Such inconveniences to other people are a bad witness
~If the state allows this, it’s taking a side, and they should be neutral on such matters.
~Zoning restrictions exist for a reason.
~If you can’t raise enough money to rent a space, what makes you so sure such a thing is good anyhow?
~Every cult began as a home Bible study.
~A coffee shop would be a much better idea anyhow, since at least it’s set up for parking and it’s a good witness.
~If I’m a pastor, I’m not sure I want my people just hanging around with whomever at a home Bible study.
~I’m uncomfortable with a gathering of religious fanatics next door.

Links:
San Diego backs down (SD Union-Trib)
Bible study temporarily allowed (Christian.UK)

No comments: