Friday, April 29, 2011

2+3+4 Eschatology in England

I wasn’t sure whether I was going to watch the royal wedding. I didn’t know who William was, and I had never heard of Kate. Since I don’t really believe in royalty, I had no philosophical interest in them. They’re just people, with lungs and hands like I have, too. So when I heard that 2 billion people might watch, I reacted with something like bafflement verging on contempt.

But then I started thinking about what sort of opportunity this might be to reveal to the world the glorious mystery of why we have weddings at all. And I realized that the draw for people to watch a royal one like this might in some way be the innate yearning we all have for that day when Christ marries His Church. So, rather than looking down on people for being captivated by this event, I decided to believe that when we’re captivated by these things, it’s because we’re wanting that glorious event. And perhaps our fascination with royal weddings has something to do with this, which would mean that my own indifference to it might actually be a deficiency rather than a virtue. So I decided to watch it, and I was very pleasantly surprised. It was everything I could have hoped for and more as a Christian.

I really loved the comment that all weddings are royal weddings because we are both made in the image of the one true God and King of us all and because all weddings both remind us of and point forward to that glorious day when Jesus Christ, the Divine Bridegroom will be united forever and fully in unity and devotion to His Bride, the Church.

And I loved to have such a repeated emphasis on this theologically rich symbolic value of all weddings on such a worldwide platform for at least some form of global evangelism. As if to say, “You think this is magnificent? You haven’t seen anything yet. And whereas you are only able to be outsiders looking in via cameras and microphones at this spectacular event, you can be participants in that one. You enjoy watching a commoner become a princess? You are the commoner and if you accept the proposal of the true Lord and King, you can become His Princess for all of eternity. You can be in that other Wedding, and it will be far more glorious than this one.” I think that’s what they were saying, and saying it really well!

No comments: