Monday, September 8, 2008

Ethics: Credit Cards

There are essentially four sorts of people: Those who don’t use credit cards, those who use them and pay them off every month, those who carry a balance they can handle every month, and those who are out of control. As a credit counselor friend of mine once quipped, “Credit cards are like crack cocaine, and banks are very smart drug dealers.” Was his assessment correct? Are credit cards so dangerous they ought to be illegal? What about those who pay them off every month? Is it ethical to use a service in this way which costs the company money? Isn’t that being a parasite at the expense of all the irresponsible addicts who really fund the existence of these cards?

Links:
American Consumer Credit Counseling by ConsumerCredit.com
Exploit credit cards by Christian Science Monitor
Credit cards can be good by Bankrate.com
Best credit cards for consumers by Bankrate.com
Gas credit cards may have benefits by AZCentral.com
Credit cards 101 by BusinessWeek.com
Survival guide by BusinessWeek.com
College campus credit cards: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4
DebtorsAnonymous.org

3 comments:

J-Mo said...

I'm sorry, but I had to laugh when I began reading the phrase "There are essentially four sorts of people," to find that following it was a discussion of the relation of people to credit cards...

On a more relevant note, I actually had to quit working at Bank of America because I refused to 'sell' credit cards to our clients, which is a required part of the job of a teller.

Andrew Tallman said...

Good for you, J-Mo! Conscience would keep me from doing a lot of jobs, and if someone asked me to promote a loan that I thought was abusive, I'd have a difficult time doing that. Luckily, in my current position, I have tremendous discretion over such things.

Unknown said...

Credit cards can be good or bad but if you are going to apply for one it is wise to check out the many price comparison websites such as eComparison, which are a useful way to get yourself a better deal with very little effort.