Monday, January 19, 2009

What Part Of The Bible Offends You The Most?


I think if you are someone who has rejectedChristianity (as opposed to someone who ismerely a non-Christian), then this questionis probably easier to answer because youprobably are in the habit of telling peopleyour reasons. But I suspect that manyChristians will balk at this momentarily, notbecause the Bible doesn't offend them, butbecause the language seems too strong. "What, me offended by the Bible? Not I. I'ma Christian who loves God's Word." I thinkif we're more honest than this, we can alladmit that there are things in the Bible thatannoy us, bother us, disturb us, or downrightoffend us. So, instead of pretending thisisn't the case, let's look at those parts andjust be honest about how they offend us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In my Christian youth I was perplexed by the thought of God destroying 99.9999% of the nonhuman creatures on Earth in Noah’s flood, since it seemed to point toward Him being less than all good, and that certainly bothered me. Couldn’t He have created a virus that would kill only humans, and then injected Noah’s family with an antidote to that virus? I suppose if I had asked my Sunday school teachers about this, they would have given an answer along the lines of: “A killer virus would have been invisible to people in a pre-scientific society. The survivors would not have known what was killing so many of their fellow humans. God wanted to do the killing in a way that would be visible and comprehensible to them, and the only method He could devise to achieve this was the worldwide flood. So He had no choice but to sacrifice most of the animal kingdom along with the humans.”