Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Wacky Wednesday--Libertarianism Is Right

Note: Before reading the following arguments, please understand that they are not what I believe. On Wednesdays, I deliberately argue for wrong ideas, challenging my listeners to call and defend the obvious right answer, which is usually far harder than one would expect. This is a summary of what Wacky Andrew will be arguing, not a representation of what real Andrew believes.

~Don’t impose your beliefs on other people.
~Government is best that governs least.
~Liberty is the essential reason for this country’s existence and the greatest explanation for its greatness.
~You can’t legislate morality.
~Government is by the consent of the governed, which means that authority vests ultimately in the individual.
~Government exists to protect my life, liberty, and property. These rights begin with me, and if I don’t believe government is protecting them properly, who are they to say I’m wrong?
~We should always err on the side of personal liberty unless all people are absolutely convinced that a behavior harms other people significantly.
~If it doesn’t harm anyone else, let it be legal.
~Everything but libertarianism is either predicated upon theft (violating property) or coercion (depriving liberty).

No comments: