Monday, April 13, 2009

Ethics Class, Session 1: Introduction

For ten years, I taught Ethics, Logic, and Introduction to Philosophy courses at the college/university level. I loved teaching Ethics the most, and after receiving positive feedback about the possibility of doing this on the air, I have decided to devote Monday evenings at 6:00 to an on-air version of the Ethics class I used to teach. This will take some time (perhaps 5-6 months, maybe longer). But I’m convinced it will be really useful (and fun, contrary to what you might thing). Not only will we be discussing the topics from that course, but I’m actually offering you the chance to act as if you are taking the real college course in the process. Toward this end, have created a special blog devoted to this project, which has the syllabus already and which will have assignments, grading, discussion threads, and anything else I (or you) can think of to make this like a real course. You can submit work to me and I will be doing something at the end to give out certificates or have a ceremony. I’m not sure about how that will work yet, exactly. But you can read everything you need to know on the syllabus at the website. Don’t worry, you can also just listen to the shows if you like. Tonight, some preliminary concepts about teaching, ethics, the teaching of ethics, and the ethics of teaching.

No comments: