Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Wacky Wednesday--Christianity Is Too Restrictive


Note: Before reading the following arguments, please understand that they are not what I believe. On Wednesdays, I deliberately argue for wrong ideas, challenging my listeners to call and defend the obvious right answer, which is usually far harder than one would expect. This is a summary of what Wacky Andrew will be arguing, not a representation of what real Andrew believes.

~Your truth claims are just power plays designed to make you look better to others than you really should and to coerce them to live by your rules.
~If the Bible tells me everything I’m supposed to do, then I’m just some robot following instructions rather than a human being who has been given the capacity to think and make my own decisions.
~Freedom means having the capacity to guide your own future.
~The idea that there is some objective “truth” which everyone must either accept or else go to hell is extremely oppressive
~If you believe you have just one truth, you’ll seek to control other people. Just look at Christian conservatives in this country (or even liberals, for that matter) and Muslims in the Middle East if you don’t believe me.
~There’s no room in Christianity for individuals to flourish.
~Christianity is the religion of, “No,” especially, “No to individual freedom.”
~You say that God created each of us to be unique and to love us uniquely, but then you say that the same rules apply to everyone without exceptions.
~The idea that we are each built for some specific purpose means that our destinies are forced upon us.
~Not only am I expected to obey the rules, but it’s considered especially virtuous to obey the rules which make the least sense to me? That sounds like tyranny, not a relationship.
~Christianity is supposed to look like a marriage, but no one would endure such an oppressive marriage.
~Human freedom means having the ability to direct my own course and make my own life choices. ~Christianity seems to hate this, and yet God claims to have given us freedom. Explain that!

No comments: