Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Wacky Wednesday--Ipods Are Evil

Note: Before reading the following arguments, please understand that they are not what I believe. On Wednesdays, I deliberately argue for wrong ideas, challenging my listeners to call and defend the obvious right answer, which is usually far harder than one would expect. This is a summary of what Wacky Andrew will be arguing, not a representation of what real Andrew believes.

~Makes you listen to radio less, including AM radio!
~Music is art, which means it does and should take time, lots and lots of time.
~It’s ruined the fine art of making mix tapes, which took hours of intense effort.
~Wearing one is a clear declaration to other people that you love music more than their companionship. “Don’t talk to me, mom, I’m busy listening to my songs!”
~Contributes to the problem of no quiet time.
~The cords get tangled when you try to do a lot of things while wearing one.
~It’s bad for your ears.
~Music should be an immersion experience, not an add-on to something else. Listening to an album should be a thing you do for its own sake.
~The former limited location for listening to these things contributed to a sense that they were special and precious. Listening was a sacred experience.
~You actually might have to work to learn the lyrics so you can sing them elsewhere and become the music maker yourself.
~A little absence makes the ear grow fonder. Do you actually yearn to hear a song on the radio anymore? No, you just download it or listen to it right now.
~Selfishness and instant gratification are not the keystones of a great civilization.

Links:
The trouble with easy listening (LA Times)

1 comment:

Benjamin said...

Album art is now obsolete.

Songs growing on you is now obsolete (and sometimes those are the best songs). Some of my favorite albums I bought thinking I'd love them right away. I'd spend $15 or so on an album and be bummed because I didn't like it. Since I spent so much on it though, I forced myself to listen to it. Some of my favorite albums were discovered this way. Good art is not always appreciated with the first or even second encounter.