Tuesday, February 15, 2011

02/15/11 3PM Commentary



Another card from V-Day at PostSecret. In some ways, this one speaks for itself, and I hesitate to comment. (But since they pay me to comment...) We used to live in a culture where people said, "I'll be the first one in my family to go to college," and now I think this is a painfully reasonable for many adults with divorced parents to say about their own greatest aspiration. How tragic is it to live in a culture which makes this possible? As much ink and handwringing as people spend on not wanting to bequeath a worse ECONOMIC standard of living to their kids, what about the simple goal of not giving them a worse relational standard of living? (Or inflicting so much chaos on them by divorce that they have THIS as their big goal in life!) As a child of divorce, I can tell you there's nothing I despise more than, want to avoid more than, and yet am always fully afraid of than divorce.

No comments: