Tuesday, April 12, 2011

2PM Texas may raise limit to 85

The Texas House voted to allow some stretches of road with high visibility to have their speed limits raised from 80 to 85MPH. The real question in my mind is why bother having a speed limit at all? I’m not mocking, I’ve driven in Germany, and it was wonderful to be able to drive the speed I felt safe driving. I’m really wondering why bother having a speed limit at all, since it seems doubtful that you’re going to come along and radar time someone at 95 just to give them a 10 over ticket. But more importantly, what I always wonder is what improvement has been made in the skill and reaction ability of the drivers who will be using this new speed limit. Again, I like high speed limits, but I am a realist who knows that most Americans are only just marginally competent to drive under ordinary conditions and so I do not trust them to drive at high speeds only because we’re way too permissive in our licensing. Germany has no limit, but it’s routine to flunk your driver’s test in Europe more than once before qualifying only because they’re that strict.

No comments: