Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Theological Tuesday: Is God A Mystery To Himself?

Recently writing about the knowability and the mysteriousness of God, I worked myself into what is either a dangerous corner or a really interesting insight into God’s nature. In describing the mystery of God, I began to realize that God’s mysteriousness isn’t just a matter of us not knowing enough about Him, it’s an infinite capacity to amaze and wonder and be deeper than we think. Well, this led me to think that part of the joy of being in the Trinity must be the eternal and never-ceasing mutual exploration of this endless capacity to amaze each other. It’s certainly something that I’ve seen in my own marriage and with my kids, and if that’s given as a sign or symbol of God’s own nature, I suspect this should be even more true of God. But this leads to a clear concern. How can we say God knows everything while also saying that one member of the Trinity doesn’t even fully know the other members or even, perhaps Himself? So, what do you think?

No comments: