Friday, March 4, 2011

03/04/11 4PM Even more failed AZ bills


HB 2426 would have made cell use by a juvenile while driving illegal. As I get older, I’m almost (not quite, but almost) to the point of making under 21 no driving. But anything that helps young (inexperienced, reckless, stupid, etc.) drivers behave better, I’m for it. It’s a very easy law to not violate…don’t use the cell phone while driving.

HB 2711 would have reinstated the Brady Bill 10-round capacity limit to semi-automatic (one trigger-pull per shot) weapons (pistols and rifles). The problem here isn’t so much the intent, which I understand in the wake of the Giffords shooting and accounts that Loughner’s pause to reload let him get tackled. However, just like under the Brady Bill, existing magazines would still be grandfathered in and, therefore, wildly available. I bought my Glock with two 17-round magazines (for which I paid a little extra) very easily in the Brady era. Why? Because in my own judgment as a citizen trying to defend my home, I decided that in the extremely unlikely event that someone has come into my home at night (or I get stranded on some highway in the middle of nowhere), 17 bullets is better than 10, and 34 is better than 20. Anything that makes the murderous gunman vulnerable also makes the defensive homeowner vulnerable, right?

No comments: