Monday, March 21, 2011

03/21/11 4PM Phoenix drops to 6th largest city, behind Philly


Phoenix has slipped from being the 5th largest city to being the 6th, now behind Philadelphia. And I must confess, I don’t get how anyone would care about this. First of all, our position as a metropolitan area hasn’t changed (we’re 12th). And that’s sort of the point. Why does the city really matter so much given that people who live here live in the Valley. When people ask me where I’m from, I say Phoenix, even though in 6 years here I’ve never yet had a Phoenix address. But even if you go on metro area, do you draw your identity or stature as a person on something like this? What control do you have over it? What does that mean for the 8th place people? Are they supposed to be less happy? What a bizarre thing to draw identity from. But if you didn’t receive this news well and you’re mourning because you’re from Phoenix proper, here’s my suggestion: do your part and have more babies!

No comments: